In 2 days we will ring in a new year and a new decade fueled with possibility for making personal health goals a lasting reality.
What cuisines and special ingredients will finesse your existing eating regime inching you closer to where you want to be in the coming year? What products, mantras and health trends will support these efforts and keep you on track?
I see delicious possibilities. Here are some favorites:
- Raw chocolate – unprocessed, organic, and naturally energizing, this bar is sweetened with raw forms of sugar like maple syrup to spare you the sugar rush, ‘crash’ and cravings.
- Spicing up health- research suggests Ginger may ease sore muscles, Oregano might limit bacterial growth and Cinnamon balance blood sugar levels. The spice rack is a proverbial medicine cabinet. Turmeric is a powerhouse.
- ‘Sprouted’ products.
- Quantum nutrition – Raw, organic super foods are the food and medicine of the future. Add them into your day and watch the needle move on mood, energy, memory, stamina and libido.
- Increase in Veganism – even if you’re not ready or interested in eliminating dairy or meat from your routine or committing strictly to a an all plant-based diet, experiment with this lifestyle for glowing skin, weight loss, more energy and irresistible eating options.
- Celebrities turned ‘green’ foodies are the newest cookbook authors carrying the torch for the sustainable, homemade, comfort food movement. Check out Alicia Silverstone’s bestselling The Kind Diet and Mariel Hemingway’s about to be released, Mariel’s Kitchen.
- Listening to your body- an old mantra gaining renewed respect and top billing on the Integrative Medicine and Nutrition global stage.
- “No-cow” ice creams. Hemp and soy milk-based, these non-dairy options are easy to digest, won’t spike your blood sugar or your guilt.
- Eating an immune system-boosting diet. Fortifying the body’s eco-systems (immune, nervous, digestive and adrenal) with functional food is on the rise.
- Natural food detoxing vs. using supplements, ‘kits’ or procedures which may do more harm than good.
- Unpasteurized, raw milk cheese. For the dairy enthusiast, raw dairy is more easily digested for some. Your body will let you know either way.
- The relaxation beverage market is exploding. Whether or not melatonin or valerian-infused soda or a liquid shot can chill you out without knocking you out will warrant watching this mellow trend.
- Anti-inflammatory foods vs. pro-inflammatory foods can make all the difference in your sur-thrival.
- Not dieting to lose weight. “Eat food, mostly plants, not too much.” – Michael Pollan
- Packaged foods with short ingredient lists touting real ingredients are on the rise.
- Packaged foods with health claims are on the rise too. Avoid them at all cost! Real food doesn’t need to claim anything. Nature is as good as it gets.
- Farm to table cuisine in restaurants and as a cooking trend has more people cooking ‘clean’, seasonal, simple food at home and on the road.
- Whole Foods stroll. Sitting in a Starbuck’s is being trumped by the open market experience. Check it out.
- Eating foods harvested closer to home, supporting local agriculture and ensuring the life force in your food isn’t drained from long cross-country delivery truck excursions has crossed over from foodie fad for the financially fit to a global lifestyle initiative. The average meal travels 1500 miles from farm to table.
- Real ‘energy’ products from eco-friendly manufacturers offering natural, focused fuel will continue to multiply and compete with energy imposters offering no more than scattered stimulation and a false lift. Buyer beware!
- The smoke will clear on all the nutrition bar confusion. With a rise in ingredient label reading and an awareness of truly fueling ourselves with recognizable ingredients that suit us personally, this billion dollar industry will continue to produce real winners in the category. Seek them out with abandon.
Wishing you an energizing new year filled with real opportunities to fuel your day and your life. Everyday, every balanced meal, every healthy choice in favor of authentically fortifying ourselves leads us to the promised land- our best day ever.
To the Ultimate You, (starting) Now!